Sunday, September 13, 2009

Jo Smail

Last night I went to Jo Smail's opening at Goya Contemporary. The show was gorgeous- I felt the pieces were fun and playful but with a sophisticated tone. And I loved how she played with her surfaces- layering different materials, using different paint types, etc.

Enchanted Ear, 2008 12"x9"

Cut Short, 2009 12"x9"

Reaching Out To Collect The Moon, 2009 9"x12"

Ripening Thought, 2008 13 1/2"x12"



These are pictures I took while there. The way some of the smaller pieces were positioned throughout the show was fantastic- Sadly, I didn't think at the time to take a picture of just that to show you. I talked with Amy Raehse, the gallery's executive director, and she explained that she and Jo worked together to hang the show. The were very conscious of how the pieces played together and spoke together and wanted that to be displayed. I thought it was extremely successful.


This is Amy. She was wonderful and I'm excited to work with her more in the future for more blog posts about the gallery.

This is Jo! She's standing with her piece Imagining an Absence, 2009 50"x40"

No comments: