Friday, September 16, 2011

Immediate Family

Jessie's Cut, 1985

Recently I paged through Sally Mann's Immediate Family book. I've been a fan of this series since I first saw it my freshman year, but it was really nice to revisit it. These were a few of my favorite images. (Especially the one above- something about the starkness and ambiguity of that image absolutely mesmerizes me. And the soft spot in me loves that Jessie is spelled with an -ie like mine.)

White Skates, 1990

The New Mothers, 1989
The one above reminds me of my sister and me.

Hangnail, 1989

Night Blooming Cereus, 1988

Yard Eggs, 1991

Tobacco Spit, 1987
Love the glow from the baby in this photo.

Mann was featured in the first season of Art:21. If you somehow don't know the show then look it up- it's all interviews with all sorts of different artists about their work and their processes... it's amazing. This is a portion of her interview, although I definitely recommend looking up the whole thing. The whole episode is free on PBS's website.. start at chapter 6

Watch the full episode. See more ART:21.

No comments: