Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Fricks Lock

My opening for my first solo exhibition, Fricks Lock, is tomorrow night!!  It's from 6-8 in the Gateway Gallery at MICA.  Go to my website, jesskemp.com, for more details.

I finished this series in May of this year.  Fricks Lock is a small ghost town in Pennsylvania.  The inhabitants of the town were forced to abandon their homes in the 1960s when PECO announced the building of a nuclear power plant across the river from the town.  PECO bought the property, kicked the people out, and left the buildings condemned and broken.  It was important to me to document this town.  I wanted to show my audience how the lives of people of an entire community could be destroyed on the whim of a corporation.  The property still belongs to the plant, so I was quick to be in and out. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't ask me how I found this, but that is an excellent piece of photography. That's not the Limerick power plant is it? Either way, well done.

-Andrew